Attorney Jeffrey L. Ment
Admitted to the Connecticut and New York bars, attorney Jeffrey L. Ment has 26 years of experience helping injured clients, defending and representing police officers with virtually every legal issue that an officer may encounter, representing travel companies and hospitality groups, representing and defending insurers, companies and manufacturers of equipment in personal injury and civil litigation.
He has tried more than 34 cases to verdict, and many more proceedings that were resolved in arbitration and/or mediation. He is passionate about his clients’ rights, and will fight to ensure that you are informed every step of the way. With an undergraduate degree in management from the University of Connecticut and a Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law, attorney Ment is uniquely qualified to handle your legal needs.
Attorney Ment has represented over 1,000 law enforcement officers in different parts of Connecticut, including Westport, West Hartford, Middletown, Coventry, New Britain, East Haven, UCONN, and more. He has defended members of the Connecticut State Police, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. With over 25 years of police practice, attorney Ment has assisted law enforcement officials involved in fatal shootings, providing thoughtful legal help to his clients. Other issues he assists police officers with are:
- Personal Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
- Heart & Hypertension
- Internal Affairs Investigations
- Use of Deadly Force Investigations
- Service-Connected Disability
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims
- Dram Shop Claims arising out of being the victim of a drunk driver
As a former sales manager for two airlines, travel agent, and tour guide, attorney Ment has practical, hands-on work experience in the travel industry that enables him to effectively represent tour operators, travel agents, motor coach tours and insurers, and hospitality groups in a wide range of cases. From crisis management and travel contracts to compliance with national and international laws, attorney Ment’s extensive experience in the travel industry aids him in providing a thorough defense for clients who are facing serious legal consequences.
In addition to for-profit work, attorney Ment also routinely handles political asylum cases at the United States Immigration Court. He has successfully helped clients obtain political asylum in extremely difficult situations.
No matter the legal issue you face, attorney Jeffrey Ment is here to help. He is prepared to explain your case thoroughly so that you know what is going on every step of the way. He is also ready to listen to you and get your side of the story so he can ensure that no stone goes unturned in developing your defense.
Attorney Jeffrey Ment practices in many different jurisdictions, including the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit as well as the United States District of New York – Southern District.
Significant Trial & Appellate Experience
- Priscilla Vining v. B&J Transportation, Inc.
- Todd Lentocha v. Havis, Inc.
- Justin Lund v. Milford Hospital (Conn. Super. Ct. No. 19834)
- Joseph Salmieri v. Dept. of Public Safety (Conn. App. Ct. No. 21106)
- Conrad v. Erickson (41 Conn. App. 243)
- Fitzgerald v. Flaherty (49 Conn. App. 901)
- Luba Hill v. Cohen & Wolf (98 Conn. App. 905)
- Konefal v. Konefal (107 Conn. App. 354)
- Pelletier v. Sordoni/Skanska Construction (286 Conn. 563)
- Rosenfeld v. Rogin Nassau (69 Conn. App. 151)
- Conn. State Police Union v. Conn. Dept. of Emergency Services and Public Protection (2012 WL 386679)
Professional Association Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Air Space Law Section, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Bar Association, Leisure Industries, Member
- International Forum of Travel & Tourism, Member
- United States Tour Operators Association, Member
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, Member
- National Tour Association, Member
- Adventure Travel Trade Association, Member
- Student Youth Travel Association, Member
- Board of Directors, UConn Hillel, Member
- American Society of Travel Agents, Member
- Legal Columnist, TravelAge West
- Should Clients Stay or Should They Go
- What Travel Advisors Should Add to Their Terms and Conditions Now
- What to Do About Those Unfair Credit Card Chargebacks
- How To Handle Legal Threats From Clients in Regard to COVID-19
- Tips On How Travel agents Can Confront the Corona Virus
- Why the Way You Market Yourself Matters
- What to Know When Hiring and Training New to Industry Travel Advisors
- What Destination Info Should You Share With Clients
- USA Today
- New York Times
- San Francisco Examiner
- “Munn v. Hotchkiss School: A Risk Management Case Study,” Adventure Travel News, November 14, 2017
- “Huffing and Puffing: When Can Representations in a Travel Company’s Brochure Provide a Basis for a Claim for Personal Injuries?” Travel Law Quarterly, vol. 5 no. 2, 2013
- Legal Columnist, TravelAge West
- Legal Issues Impacting Student Travel, SYTA, 2019
- Terms & Conditions, Releases, Waivers and Other Legal Lingo, NTA, 2019
- Tour Guide Training Symposium, ITMI, 2018
- Understanding the new GDPR and its’ implications for travel companies, USTOA & NTA, 2018
- 2018 Student Youth Travel Association Summit: “Risk Management and Key Issues in Student Travel” and “How to Survive a Tax Audit”
- National Tour Association – 2017 Travel Exchange Seminar
- 2018 Law Enforcement Labor Summit, 2018
- 30th International Tour Management Institute, 2017
- Overtime Law Changes, SYTA, 2016
- Student Travel in 2016 and Beyond, SYTA, 2016
- Business Succession Planning in the Travel Industry, NTA, 2015, 2014
- Contract Negotiations in Travel, NTA, 2015, 2013
- Risk Management in the Travel Industry, USTOA Seminar, 2014
- Legal Issues in the Travel Industry, MyLawCLE, 2014
- Vendor Selection in the Travel Industry, USTOA Seminar, 2013
Personal Attention & Knowledgeable Methods
Whatever your specific legal needs, at The Ment Law Group, PC, we are committed to making every client feel valued and understood. From major travel corporations to individuals dealing with serious legal challenges, we will give you our full attention and every available resource. When we are your legal representation or counsel, you can rely on prompt responses to any question, thoughtful approaches to your issues, and every ounce of our collective experience being brought to bear.
With offices located in Hartford, CT, we serve individual clients throughout Connecticut and New York. Our travel clients are from around the globe and we are available when they need us – no matter what time zone they are located in!To personally discuss your legal needs with a member of The Ment Law Group, PC, call 866-MENT-LAW or contact us online to schedule an appointment.